Frequently Asked Claims Questions

What kinds of documents do I need to submit for my claim?

When you notify us of your claim, we will ask a series of questions to understand the details of your claim. This will help us to determine the information we will need to complete the claim review. As a next step, we will send you a claim package that provides the forms and instructions needed to submit your claim.

Do I need to provide original documentation for my claim?

We do not require original documentation, such as original receipts, death certificates, etc. If mailing your documents, please send us copies and retain the originals. We do not send back documentation provided.

What if I have questions after receiving the claims package?

You can call us at 1-800-243-3174 (option 3) and one of our Claims Support Specialists will be happy to assist. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Eastern Time.

My airline ticket says that it's non-refundable, so why are you asking for refund information from the airline?

In certain circumstances, such as illness, hospitalization, or death of the passenger or family member, or unexpected activation/revocation of military service, airlines do issue full or partial refunds, so we need to review the exact refund provisions that your airline offers.

Why do I need to submit proof of payment?

In addition to invoices and receipts, proof of payment is required to validate the exact claim amount.

Why do you require the Unused Trip Expense Form (for trip interruption)?

If you booked your trip through a travel agent/coordinator, the Unused Trip Expense Form is required because it breaks out airfare from land/sea travel costs and also verifies any refunds available for unused portions of your trip.

If I have already submitted the travel supplier's terms and conditions, why do I need to provide the travel supplier's refund statement as well (for trip cancellation)?

The refund statement confirms the date that the trip was cancelled and any applicable refunds from the travel supplier/agency as specified in the Terms and Conditions.

If I have already provided medical information, why are you requesting additional medical information?

If the medical documentation that you (or your attending physician) initially submit is incomplete, we request additional information to confirm that the condition is covered under your plan and, where applicable, not excluded as pre-existing.

Do I need to translate receipts that are written in foreign languages? Do I need to convert foreign currency into US dollars?

We take care of translation and necessary currency conversion. If you have paid by credit card, you can submit the credit card statement so we can reimburse the foreign transaction fee for covered expenses that the credit card has already charged you.

How can I check the status of my claim?

You can go to the Claims Status page to check if your claim has been started or paid, and you can contact our Claims Department at 1-800-243-3174 (option 3) Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. for additional assistance. If you have a customer profile, you can also log in to see the status of your claims.

How can I have my claims settlement made payable to someone else?

You as the claimant must provide a written statement authorizing us to pay a specific alternate party.

My address has changed. How can I have the claims payment sent to my new address?

You as the claimant must provide a statement via email (, mail (P.O. Box 6503), or fax (1-860-430-2363) indicating your new address.

How do I appeal a claims decision that I'm not satisfied with?

You can submit a written statement (by postal mail, email, or fax) appealing the decision along with any additional supporting documentations, such as medical reports and receipts.

Insurance benefits in the plans are subject to limitations and exclusions, including an exclusion for pre‑existing conditions.

The plans contain insurance benefits underwritten by the United States Fire Insurance Company, 305 Madison Ave, Morristown, NJ 07960. C&F and Crum & Forster are registered trademarks of United States Fire Insurance Company. United States Fire Insurance Company is currently authorized to transact business in all states and the District of Columbia. NAIC No. 21113. The Crum & Forster group of companies is rated A (Excellent) by AM Best Company 2018. The plans also contain non‑insurance Travel Assistance Services that are provided by an independent organization, and not by United States Fire Insurance Company or Travel Insured International. Coverages may vary and not all coverage is available in all jurisdictions. Your travel retailer may not be licensed to sell insurance, and cannot answer technical questions about the benefits, exclusions, and conditions of our plans. Individuals looking to obtain additional information regarding the features and pricing of each travel plan component, please contact Travel Insured.