Travel Tips and Ideas

Hurricane Forecast Serves as Reminder to Buy Travel Insurance

by User Not Found | Jun 04, 2009

The start of the 2009 Atlantic Hurricane Season begins today, a week after the NOAA (National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration) Weather Service Climate Prediction Center issued its forecast for the Atlantic Season. The forecasters predict between 9 and 14 named storms, of which 4 to 7 may become hurricanes, including one major storm of Category 3 (111 m.p.h.) or larger. The outlook is 50% probable for a “near normal” season that averages 11 named storms including six hurricanes of which two are majors. There is, according to NOAA, a 25% probability for “above-normal” 2009 storm activity, and a 25% probability for “below-normal” activity.


Travel Insured International reminds travelers that seasonal National Weather Service hurricane forecasts combined with actual seasonal results since 2005, the year of Hurricane Katrina, show how unpredictable hurricane seasons can be. While the NWS Prediction Center has forecast the number of storms with remarkable accuracy, especially in the last two years following the record storm activity of 2005 and the quieter 2006, there are surprising results each year.


Last year, for example, six (6) consecutive named storms (Hurricane Dolly, Tropical Storm Edouard, Tropical Storm Fay, Hurricane Gustav, Hurricane Hanna and Hurricane Ike) struck the U.S. for the first time ever. There were also major category 3 Atlantic hurricanes in each of five consecutive 2008 months for the first time, including Bertha in July, Gustav in August, Ike in September, Omar in October and Paloma in November.


The storm data is a reminder that adding travel insurance provides peace of mind in protecting against hurricane-related trip cancellation and delays when traveling during the hurricane season from June 1 until November 1. Remember, however, that you must plan early, preferably with your initial trip deposit, to get protection from an unforeseen hurricane disruption. Once a storm has been named by the National Weather Service you cannot obtain coverage against any storm-related disruption from that storm!


Hurricane-Related Travel Insured Coverage


Trip Cancellation: Travel Insured International’s Worldwide Trip Protector plans can provide coverage for Trip Cancellation if weather causes complete cessation of your common carrier for 24 or more consecutive hours. This coverage can also protect you if a hurricane or natural disaster renders your destination accommodations uninhabitable. And it can protect you if your primary residence within 10 days of your scheduled departure is made uninhabitable by a flood or other natural disaster.


Trip Interruption – Mandatory Evacuation: If local authorities order a mandatory evacuation at your destination due to a hurricane or other natural disaster during your trip and at the end of the evacuation you have 50% or less of your trip remaining, this coverage can protect you.


Cancel For Any Reason : When you are concerned about the potential of traveling when a storm might be building but has not yet reached your destination, your best option is to purchase a Cancel For Any Reason upgrade within 14 days of your initial trip deposit. This option will allow you to cancel up to two or more days prior to your scheduled destination for up to 75% reimbursement of your non-refundable prepaid vacation costs. But remember the insurance and option must be purchased before the storm is named for coverage to apply!


Trip Delay: A weather-caused delay of your common carrier for six or more hours can provide Trip Delay coverage of up to $500, $750, or $1,500 depending upon the  terms of the Worldwide Trip Protector plan you purchase.


Missed Port of Call: Worldwide Trip Protector and Gold plans offer a “Missed Port of Call” benefit that addresses cruise or tour disruptions due to unforeseen events such as hurricanes. Insured passengers who prepay for a non-refundable shore activity in a port of call, or a scheduled stop on a tour, but miss the activity due to a change of itinerary, can be reimbursed up to $750 unless the missed activity is rescheduled during the course of the trip.


Missed Connection: This coverage can protect you if, as a result of a weather-related disruption of your common carrier for three or more hours, you miss your cruise or tour departure. Benefits can be paid up to the limits specified on your selected Worldwide Trip Protector plan.

This website contains highlights of the plans, which include travel insurance coverages underwritten by United States Fire Insurance Company under form series T210 et. al., TP-401 et. al., and T7000 et. al. The Crum & Forster group of companies is rated A (Excellent) by AM Best 2020. C&F and Crum & Forster are registered trademarks of United States Fire Insurance Company. The plans also contain non insurance Travel Assistance Services provided by C&F Services through Active Claims Management (2018) Inc., operating as Active Care Management. Coverages may vary and not all coverage is available in all jurisdictions. Insurance coverages are subject to the terms, limitations and exclusions in the plan, including an exclusion for pre-existing conditions. In most states, your travel retailer is not a licensed insurance producer/agent, and is not qualified or authorized to answer technical questions about the terms, benefits, exclusions, and conditions of the insurance offered or to evaluate the adequacy of your existing insurance coverage. Your travel retailer may provide general information about the plans offered, including a description of the coverage and price. The purchase of travel insurance is not required in order to purchase any other product or service from your travel retailer. Your travel retailer maybe compensated for the purchase of a plan. CA DOI toll free number: 800-927-4357. MD Insurance Administration: 800-492-6116 or 410-468-2340. The cost of your plan is for the entire plan, which consists of both insurance and non-insurance components. Individuals looking to obtain additional information regarding the features and pricing of each travel plan component, please contact Travel Insured: P.O. Box 6503, Glastonbury, CT 06033; 855-752-8303;; California license #0I13223.