Travel Tips and Ideas

A Lesson of the Splendor: Get a Passport!

by User Not Found | Dec 15, 2010

Although the WHTI (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative) passport rules started in mid-2009 requiring U.S. travelers flying overseas to own passports, some cruise passengers can sill travel without them. Although a cheaper Passport Card or a microchip-enhanced Driver's License, available in some states including New York, is still acceptable on "loop" cruises starting and ending in the U.S., the Carnival Splendor's recent power failure and stranding at sea serves as a warning to those without passports.

Had Splendor's 3,000 + passengers been disembarked at a foreign port beyond driving distance to the U.S., instead of being towed to San Diego, they would have needed a passport under WHTI State Department rules to fly back to the U.S. Those without passports could face airport hassles and lengthy delays. The warning for non-passport owners is clear. Buy a passport before you cruise, even from a U.S. port.

Insurance benefits in the plans are subject to limitations and exclusions, including an exclusion for pre‑existing conditions.

This website contains highlights of the plans, which include insurance benefits underwritten by the United States Fire Insurance Company, Home Office: 305 Madison Ave, Morristown, NJ 07960, Administrative Office: 5 Christopher Way, 2nd Floor, Eatontown, NJ 07724. United States Fire Insurance Company is currently authorized to transact business in all states and the District of Columbia. NAIC No. 21113. The plans also contain non‑insurance Travel Assistance Services provided by C&F Services through Active Claims Management (2018) Inc., operating as Active Care Management. The Crum & Forster group of companies is rated A (Excellent) by AM Best 2018. C&F and Crum & Forster are registered trademarks of United States Fire Insurance Company. Coverages may vary and not all coverage is available in all jurisdictions. In most states, your travel retailer is not a licensed insurance producer/agent, and cannot evaluate, interpret, or answer technical questions about the technical terms, benefits, exclusions, and conditions of our plans or evaluate the adequacy of your existing insurance coverage. Your travel retailer may provide general information about the plans offered, including a description of the coverage and price. The purchase of travel insurance is not required in order to purchase any other product or service from your travel retailer. California license #0I13223, 855 Winding Brook Drive, Glastonbury, CT 06033. CA DOI toll free number: 800-927-4357. MD Insurance Administration: 800-492-6116 or 410-468-2340. Individuals looking to obtain additional information regarding the features and pricing of each travel plan component, please contact Travel Insured at 855-752-8303 or