Travel Tips and Ideas

Learn the Rules for Flying Service Animals

by User Not Found | Apr 04, 2011

Traveling by air with a service animal, such as a guide dog, can involve complying with complicated rules. This is especially true for travel to international countries with varying policies toward arriving animals. Some obstacles can include an outright restriction against the import of foreign domesticated animals, even service dogs, or a lengthy quarantine in which the country can run tests to be satisfied the animal has no rabies or other illnesses that might have been contracted during transit from its home country.

It is advisable for travelers heading to a foreign destination with their service animal to check with the U.S. State Department web site at for a directory of foreign countries with each one's regulations regarding service animals. The Federal Aviation Administration, which regulates air travel in the U.S. has a most welcoming policy toward service animals on domestic flights, including allowing them to travel in the airplane cabin with their passenger and avoid some vaccinations required of other animals. However, it is advisable to check an information page on traveling pets from the Federal Aviation Administration found here on the FAA web site.

This website contains highlights of the plans, which include travel insurance coverages underwritten by United States Fire Insurance Company under form series T210 et. al., TP-401 et. al., and T7000 et. al. The Crum & Forster group of companies is rated A (Excellent) by AM Best 2020. C&F and Crum & Forster are registered trademarks of United States Fire Insurance Company. The plans also contain non insurance Travel Assistance Services provided by C&F Services through Active Claims Management (2018) Inc., operating as Active Care Management. Coverages may vary and not all coverage is available in all jurisdictions. Insurance coverages are subject to the terms, limitations and exclusions in the plan, including an exclusion for pre-existing conditions. In most states, your travel retailer is not a licensed insurance producer/agent, and is not qualified or authorized to answer technical questions about the terms, benefits, exclusions, and conditions of the insurance offered or to evaluate the adequacy of your existing insurance coverage. Your travel retailer may provide general information about the plans offered, including a description of the coverage and price. The purchase of travel insurance is not required in order to purchase any other product or service from your travel retailer. Your travel retailer maybe compensated for the purchase of a plan. CA DOI toll free number: 800-927-4357. MD Insurance Administration: 800-492-6116 or 410-468-2340. The cost of your plan is for the entire plan, which consists of both insurance and non-insurance components. Individuals looking to obtain additional information regarding the features and pricing of each travel plan component, please contact Travel Insured: P.O. Box 6503, Glastonbury, CT 06033; 855-752-8303;; California license #0I13223.