Roller coaster fans comprise their own subset of theme park travelers. Some roller coaster chasers literally travel across the U.S. to follow the greatest new thrill rides. They collect experiences in their hobby the same way tropical island fans "collect" visits to different islands and cruise fans visit as many of the newest ships as they can afford. Coaster fans also engage in ongoing debates about the greatest, the highest, the fastest and the wettest roller coasters. Here, as reported by the online roller coaster experts at "The Coaster Critic" (www.thecoastercritic.com) are some of the newest roller coaster rides opening in 2011 across the U.S. that coaster fans will soon be chasing.
• "Cheetah Hunt," a looping steel coaster opening at Busch Gardens in Tampa, is predicted to be the most exciting new coaster opening this year. It will have a figure 8 high above the ground, a subterranean trip through a trench, and a corkscrew.
• "Texas Giant" at Six Flags Over Texas in Dallas is a remake of a 1990 coaster that will feature new 1961 Cadillac Deville cars with cattle longhorns and saddle seats that will climb up to a steep 79-degree drop.
• "Dare Devil Dive" at Six Flags Over Georgia in Atlanta is a looping steel coaster with a vertical lift and three inversions.
• "Green Lantern: First Flight" is a 4th Dimension roller coaster opening at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, CA, near Los Angeles. This park now claims to have 18 coasters.
• "Untamed" is a steel looping coaster opening at Canobie Lake Park in Salem, NH, and it features a 72-foot lift hill and a 97-degree drop.
• "Wooden Warrior" is a wooden family fun coaster opening at Quassy Amusement Park in Middlebury, CT. It is a junior wooden coaster with moderate speeds on rolling, twisting hills.
• "Zippin Pippin," a wooden coaster said to be a favorite of Elvis Presley, according to thecoastercritic.com, is being rebuilt for a reopening at the Bay Beach Amusement Park in Green Bay, WI, where cheese head fans of the Packers are expected to love it.
• "Steeplechase Horses Coaster" is a launch coaster and "Soaring Eagle" a flying roller coaster that are both opening at Coney Island on the boardwalk in Brooklyn, NY. Fans of both the historic, neighboring Cyclone coaster and the minor league Brooklyn Cyclones baseball team playing next door are likely to check out the new Coney coasters.
• "Gotham City Gauntlet" is the new wild mouse roller coaster opening at Six Flags New England in Agawam, MA. Located in the DC Super Hero Adventures section, it is the New England Six Flags' 10th roller coaster.